Saturday, November 13, 2010

A Sherlock Holmes Addiction

I have always had a particular fondness for Sherlock Holmes-- I've read all of the Conan Doyle collections I can get my hands on. When I found out that BBC had remade the greatest detective ever known with a modern-day twist, I was filled with anticipation and dread. Though there are some excellent adaptations, I've been exposed to enough bad versions as to be a bit gun-shy. The recent big-screen adaptation, featuring the inimitable Robert Downey Jr. as Holmes, provided a new outlook and a flatteringly large budget to the characters (though somewhat tamed for our delicate American sensitivities.) Of the past television adaptations, I am particularly fond of the Jeremy Brett interpretation, with his aquiline nose and eccentric mannerisms.
I finally got around to watching the new series. I love it. The casting is superb, the wardrobe and the scripting are excellent, and the cinematography is as good as any I've seen this year. I am really delighted that so much work has gone into it.

And frankly, I'm in love with Benedict Cumberbatch.

Who isn't?

No comments:

Post a Comment